Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Up High in the Mile High City...

Hello Everyone,

Our Labor Day weekend adventures were too numerous to include in just one post so I thought I would split it up. Our trip down to Denver was fine - we stopped and ate at Famous Dave's which the kids loved. Well, so did the grown ups! I know the couple will never read my blog, but I want to acknowledge this super nice lady who, by giving us their table in the not-very-bar-like-bar prevented us from having to wait 45 minutes for a regular table. Wasn't that nice? They had kids and she said someone had done it for them when they were waiting. Love that whole "pay it forward" thing! Anyhow, we got to Matt and Carrie's pretty late and enjoyed a visit before bed.

Saturday morning, our lovely hosts made us pancakes and bacon as is our Saturday morning tradition. :O) Yummy, Carrie!!

Carrie and Matt are both in property management and have a friend who manages one of the BIG downtown buildings. We were so thrilled that she was willing to give us a tour. Here we are in a corner office on something like the 27th floor. This is looking west, and, though hard to see, the mountains loom on the far horizon. The kids loved this area as the entire floor is currently unoccupied. We visited all four corner offices - closest I will ever get! Then, she took us through the mechanical floor...think huge, noisy, mysterious!!! Then we stepped through a door to walk around a parapet that wraps the entire building. Staci was so gracious to give us her time, and we have some pretty cool memories for which to thank her!!

Kindrid, mountains, breathtaking view!! Yeah, yeah, yeah...Uncle Matt's pix will sure to be better than mine. That is, if he can get the camera to work. :O) Remember what I said? Think Big, Noisy, Mysterious here!And so, on to the Parapet...
Please don't do it, Honey....41 is going to be a great year!! (BTW - this day was Todd's birthday! Isn't this tour a cool way to celebrate??)

Even up here there is wildlife, and Brennen found proof!!
After our eyes drank their fill of the views, we went down so we could see the view from the bottom. The building we toured is the US Bank building. You can make out the sign at the top...the parapet is just below it.
My beautiful sister in law... ...and her friend, Staci, our lovely and generous tour guide! Told you I would make you famous, Staci!! :O)
Now of course, I always have to hone in on something educational! And, there are links in man's creations and God's. I found these stalactites[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalactite ]growing in the parking garage under the building. How cool is that?! Staci thinks they are ugly and is arranging to have them removed, but I think they are amazing. It's from salt coming from the parking floor above, she said. Wow! Love it! Who knows? Maybe Carlsbad is just an ancient parking garage!!! :O)



And with that profound thought, I bid you good night! I will post more about our trip soon!
Love,
Christy


1 comment:

grandmamarge said...

haven't had time for blog reading so just caught up on the last two episodes. WOW!!! how fun....city and country type fun!! hmmm, you must read a map like your mom. I'm impressed with all the links you give us including the come along lesson...I'm even more impressed with Brennen building a cairn. I was in my thirties before I ever saw one and learned about them. Come to think of it, it was probably in Wyoming. Of course, Kindrid smelling a wild flower is so very Kindrid and totally lovely. I'll try and keep up more after this week and maybe even get time to check the links. Dad will love the adventure stories and I'll show him as soon as I can.