Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back in the saddle again...

Wow! Long time, no post! Thought it was about time to catch you up. Going to take it randomly like it comes at us!! Here goes...

...our last morning in the camper (two weeks ago) I awoke to a mouse attempting to dine on the remains of the angel food cake we'd served the previous evening at the dinner we did for our campground hosts. He woke me because he was having a bit of difficulty obtaining his breakfast due to its tough plastic container. Not that he wasn't trying his best. He's had his way in the empty trailer for a couple weeks but his days are now numbered due to a recent trap purchase! Glad he came BEFORE I cleaned it thoroughly after our prolonged stay.
...our stuff all arrived more or less safe and sound on the big truck a week and a half ago. Three very diligent and tireless men hauled it all in. An old friend, Tim Bailey, once commented on how one never knows how much stuff one has until one goes to move it all - this while helping us move from apartment to house in Fort Smith. It's true! It's hard for me to believe that we need all this junk but it all fits and I've gotten rid of a lot of it during this move. I still have another huge pile by the front door and in the garage to take to Salvation Army tomorrow. Crazy!!

...we went to the county fair last week which was a quite usual fair affair with the exception of two things. One, there was hay bale judging. Two, cowboy boots with shorts were OK attire. :O) Oh yes, and the folks directing traffic in the parking area were on horseback!

...we had a snake visit our deck Tuesday evening. No rattles on it's tail, thankfully. My guess after some brief Internet searching was that is was a bull snake (gopher snake). I don't mind snakes so much and will hold/pet them when they are handed to me, but they are most definitely not welcome on my deck! Hope he was just passin' through!

...Todd had late meetings last night so I told the kids they could pick out their supper at Wal-Mart when we were there. They love Lunchables and only get them as special treats so that is where they headed. While walking in I asked them what kinds they were going to get and Brennen said, "I don't know, my tummy will decide for me when we get there."

...A week or so ago I was pouring my morning coffee when I heard what sounded like a small explosion and Niagara Falls all at once in the basement. The water softener blew up. Well, not exactly blew up but it was A LOT of water blowing out the top where a pipe broke. It couldn't have been going for more than half a minute before I found the shut-offs but A LOT of water can come out in a half minute! SO GLAD it was when I was home!! REALLY BUMMED that it was SO SOON after we moved in. We've also had a leak under both the kitchen sink and basement bathroom sink. The plumber fixed one and told us what to do for the others. Ah! Home ownership! :O)

...Other than those observations, my life has been very full of unpacking and organizing. I'm almost there! It's a good thing since my sis and bro-in-law are coming for a visit this weekend. I'm excited to get to show the house to someone! :O) Here are some before/after pix so you can see my progress. We ended up painting both kids' rooms. After Kindrid realized we were going to do B.'s room, she decided hers should be pink, not orange, after all! All in all, I'm so pleased with how our stuff fits in this house, and I'm still so very happy to get to live here! The children are enjoying having their own rooms again and becoming reacquainted with their toys. We're slowly settling down into a routine and are quickly feeling at home. We've eaten on the deck several times and can't believe what a mini-paradise that feels like. The nights are so cool and humidity-free here. What a blessing!

Living room before our stuff:










Living room with our stuff:

Brennen's room before:











Brennen's room after: (I still would like to find some orange/blue curtains for him.)



Kindrid's room before:








Kindrid's room after:



I would show you more rooms but they are all still in various states of being unpacked and wouldn't look all that great! :O)

I would like to send out congrats to the Kurtz fam on their new grandson! Hooray for babies!! And, a "Way To Go!" to my friend J.O. after her surgery - you are a hero!!

Love to all my fam and friends!

Christy

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Just so you know, curtains, linens, clothing, etc. come in blue & orange in central Illinois! How about something with a nice Chicago Bears logo on it!

Jessica said...

Okay- so seeing your stuff in an actual house really made it hit home that you guys are not coming back ;( It made my heart hurt to see your new living room all set up and the basket on your coffee table reminded me of all the times we let Luke play with it and around it ;0( I love Kindrid's bed...it is the same one? I do not remember the posts on it at the headboard. B's room looks great and I bet he loves having more room to build his super lego creations! We miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Jessica

Kate Geesaman said...

Congrats Christy! It looks great. I love the little doll dresses hanging in Kindrid's room. Of course girls have to have a pink!

grandmamarge said...

hmmm I may be wrong, but I think one or more of the doll dresses were one(s) worn by Christy, which makes them antique?!?